Friday, June 20, 2008

Teaching

I'm not sure how long I'll continue teaching. I'm only teaching one course but it's still something I'm beginning to think of dropping. I've formally committed to teaching both the 2008-9 and 2009-10 school years but more than that, I don't know. The summers, when I don't teach, get more pleasant each year because I am not responsible for all those students who have to pay too much for their educations today. I take this responsibility quite seriously during the school year. I want them to get their money's worth. And this, of course, requires time and energy. There comes a time when you feel you're not up to it. I'm not there yet but I can see myself getting there in a few years. Or maybe I'll retreat halfway and teach a class online, where time is more flexible. I'll be doing that anyway, I hope, in 2009, a hyperdrama class. We'll see how that goes. When I do quit teaching, I'd like to leave Portland but whether I can convince my wife to move is another matter. Her best friend here has been thinking of moving to Chicago -- and if that happens, maybe H would be more willing to move. But she's so busy at so many things here. I have nothing but teaching keeping me here -- and a lot of ghosts grinning at me. I'd like to get far away from them as well.

2 comments:

Dennis G. Jerz said...

I've been talking with Steve Ersinghaus about your cyberdrama course. Can you tell me a bit more about it?

Charles Deemer said...

Dennis, I have a working syllabus I can send you -- what's your email?