Thursday, June 19, 2008

Art v. theory

As I've grown older, I've become less interested in the theoretical aspects of art, more inclined to agree with Norman O. Brown that "the proper response to poetry is not criticism but poetry." This puts me at odds with most of my academic colleagues in the university, where theory rules. I don't object to theory; I just find theoretical issues less engaging than when I was younger. Now I'd rather create something without worrying about the whats, hows and whys, and then move on to create something else. Let other folks figure it out if they must. For me the experience of creation has become its own reward.

If I were in Pittsburgh, I suspect I'd be babbling like an idiot, so it's probably a good thing I'm not there ha ha.

1 comment:

Aixa Kay said...

I strongly agree with you that more often than not, theory is harmful to the artist "not other theorists!"
For example, in Saudi Arabia since the whole "orchestra" of writers, critics and theoreticians is small, whenever a writer is introduced to the scene he's greatly celebrated, written about in the news and invited to attend all those different events to speak about his experience, theory, the craft, etc. Rarely do writers come out of this safe and continue to write as actively as they did before. Something about being introduced to such lights takes away from them the naive, innocent and experimental self and replaces it with a handyman carrying around his tools.