Sunday, January 13, 2013

Les Miserables

We saw this yesterday. H loved it more than I did.

But I was impressed by many things. The overall production especially. The performances and singing, top to bottom, even untrained singers like Crowe, whose performance I found as strong as anyone's. It worked. Hathaway's signature song is a knockout, should win the Oscar. It should win some tech categories, too, and I would have nominated it for editing and cinematography.

What didn't work for me is the script, the story. Too much indulgence in off-the-story-spine moments, releasing tension (the inn scene, for example). Some unnecessary repetition. And worse, the ensemble ending, totally unearned, a Hollywood political romance. The elements are here for a Hollywood masterpiece but the director didn't know when to say No!

That's my two bits, which is worth less than two bits ha ha. Golden Globes tonight! I usually enjoy them more than the Oscars.

No comments: