Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Office hours

And here I am, back in my cocoon, academia's shield against the crazy world. I was thinking, hobbling from the bus stop earlier, by the gods, I've been teaching here 15 years! It feels like 5 or 6, which is how askew perception of time gets as you age. Fifteen years! And not on a tenure track, this is term by term, contract by contract -- I've had dozens of contracts here! I have reasonable job security in that the class is immenselly popular, screenwriting being screenwriting, and only once did someone try to "steal" my job, a retired TV writer who moved up here. They let him start a TV writing class instead.

But things are more interesting now because Theatre Arts has started its own screenwriting sequence.  This is good because it gives screenwriting students more classes to take.

No comments: