Sunday, September 04, 2011

Good energy

I feel great. End of summer, in the sense that after Labor Day I get serious about my classes, and I still have some significant prep work to do before my class starts in three weeks.

Had a great visit and breakfast with Mark yesterday morning. He gave me a great jazz CD, about which more in a future post. Mark, at 80, is the most stimulating conversationalist I encounter these days, a wonder in his own way. He hit the mark when he said my struggle with the novel was a struggle for synthesis. Indeed it is. And I feel I've made progress with the new "historic" vignettes I'm adding. The influences of Dos Passos and Connell on this book are everywhere. Better than an influence of pop lit ha ha!

Some writing today, some yard work, some reading. The background reading continues and is gripping.

I need a new character. An AIM member, student of my protagonist, who stays in contact with him through Alcatraz and Pine Ridge.

No comments: