Sunday, October 24, 2010

Semantics

It's been pointed out to me that I'm the director of my film and edited both versions, so both are director's cuts. True enough.

I suppose a more accurate contrast would be something like the public cut v. the private cut, with "the public" being the cast. That is, I wanted a version that included everyone who worked on the film in some way; and I wanted a version that wasn't so nice and was determined solely by my aesthetic values, even if that meant cutting folks out. And I've been calling only the latter the director's cut.

Since this film has no commercial life, and no consequences of note, all this means little to anyone but myself. And I want a version that includes everyone, and I want a version that's the best film I can make, and in my vocabulary the former is the full version and the latter the director's cut.

And I like the director's cut, and I can live with the full version. So both will go online.

No comments: