Sunday, August 01, 2010

Brooding about chamber opera

In that creative state between sleep and wakefulness, this morning I found myself brooding about my chamber opera video, not about content but about methodology. I came up with a new approach. The challenge, in Alice, has always been synchronizing image and music. This is easy to do in the video editor -- so why the hell try and do it in Alice itself? This means a different approach to Alice, a different activity, now using it largely in two ways, primarily to build "sets" which then are activated in the editor, or to create types of movement, such as a rotating camera, that are easier in Alice than in the editor. But all synchronization happens along the timeline in the editor.

I created some quick images in Alice and imported them into the editor and saw immediately that this is the way to go, I have much more control. This is damn exciting!

Also, I decided to return to my earlier chamber opera, Morning/Mourning, because it has only two characters and is shorter than Life Is A Nice Place To Visit. Do the easier project first.

But this new methodology has my juices flowing.

I also like the stark look of the set. I want it to look like a basement theater space.

No comments: