Thursday, June 17, 2010

The American View Of Soccer, Ctd - The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

The American View Of Soccer, Ctd - The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan:

"I have no stake in the argument about whether soccer will or will not become a major sport in the US. However, as a historian, I like to remind people that up until the Second World War, three sports dominated the USA: baseball, boxing and horse racing. To have suggested that basketball or football or stock-car racing would be major sports then would have been met with disbelief. None of us knows what sports will become popular in the future."

Yes indeed, when I was a kid, boxing and horse racing were much more visible and popular sports than basketball and even football. My dad listened to boxing on the radio constantly, and my granddad liked to play the horses at Santa Anita. Dad and I liked football a lot, however, especially the Army-Navy and Rose Bowl games, which were like national holidays.

No comments: