Friday, June 18, 2010

A busy time in need of good weather

I have various household chores requiring good weather: lawn maintenance, driveway repair. The weather has not been cooperating but today is rainless, they predict, so maybe I can get something done. In the meantime, I'm ready to return to animating the score I have thus far for the chamber opera. Have been thinking about it. I also have some extra banjo things to do, besides practice for class. So it's a busy time. I like busy times.

I am re-reading a wonderful book, a classic, and I'll say more about it later. The Art of Mathematics by Jerry King, in which he tries to give the layman a sense of what "pure mathematics" is about. Pure mathematicians are artists. Very true. Moreover, they are artists in a context more objective than we are used to in the arts. If you say the work of a mathematician misses the mark, there is a reason for it. It's not just an opinion. "Truth" has meaning in mathematics. This is the source of one of its joys.

No comments: