Friday, June 25, 2010

American history

My favorite "traditional" history of the U.S. is Daniel Boorstin's 3-volume set The Americans. I read it first when it came out in the 60s, reread it in the 80s and have started to reread it now, with volume one, "The Colonial Experience." I don't know of better written or gripping history. A magnificent achievement. To this must be added, for balance, Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. I also recommend Richard Hofstadter's Anti-intellectualism in American Life.

I'm reading Boorstin on the netbook, and it's wonderful. I put it on my lap on the couch. The screen is clear, I can adjust the font size, I turn pages with the tap of a finger. As convenient, as comfortable, as a book. I can highlight passages and make notes. I see no advantage to a book in a reading experience now that electronic readers, and small computers, are so portable and convenient. However, the netbook screen outside would be an issue, which apparently is not the case with the Kindle. But I see no reason to get a Kindle, even as I love the Kindle for PC interface.

I am really glad I have returned to Boorstin. This is great and enlightening reading. Already, in the colonial experience, I better understand the roots of Palin and the tea baggers and also see the errors in their reading of our history.

Summer is summer when you have a fine book at hand!

No comments: