Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Retiring

Retiring is an interesting phenomenon. A bit different for everyone, I suppose. Most retire from "a job" they may or may not enjoy and fill their new free time with hobbies or boredom. I'm not sure writers and other artisans ever really retire, though they may shift the focus of their energy and move into less competitive, less commercial markets.

I call myself "retired" as a playwright. Even at that, I wrote a play about a year ago, though it's only available posthumously. But I do consider myself "retired" as a playwright, and I am happy with the decision. I had a great run in the 80s, a significant contribution in hyperdrama in the 90s, and pretty much burned out on theater, particularly on its necessary collaborative aspects. I've replaced some of this energy and joy with my video projects.

I am close to calling myself "retired" as a screenwriter. I wanted to try something different in the form, challenging myself to write for the large scale Hollywood market, and I think I've come as close to that as possible for me -- so why continue? Again, much of this energy I can satisfy with my small video projects. Thus I seriously am looking at "official retirement" as a screenwriter soon.

Teaching? I still have fun in the classroom so I will teach next year unless I'm given the pink slip due to the budget cuts. We'll see what happens.

Fiction? This is where I began, and this is where I'll end, with a number of personal, non-commercial, "heavy," idiosyncratic fiction projects, which probably will never find an audience. Except me, of course.

I don't want to drag out the end of my life. Unlike many, I don't have grandkids to watch grow, children to help out. I'm not ready to go yet but when I am, I don't want to have to wait for the bus. Which presents a challenge of a very different kind.

No comments: