Monday, April 13, 2009

Unforgetable moments in the theater

For some reason, I've been remembering extraordinary moments I've witnessed in the theater. For example...
  • A production of Tartuffe in modern dress at the Seattle Rep. When the messenger arrives at the end to set things right, the deus ex machina, he is dressed in the courtly attire of Moliere's day, and the actors regard him as some lunatic who wandered into their play. Curtain. In what seems like an instant, the curtain opens and all the actors are in courtly attire! A true moment of theater magic, thanks to Velcro I assume.
  • A production of Pinter's The Homecoming in the round at the University of Oregon. I am sitting with my back near the entrance. Across the set, in the front row, I see an elderly couple who from the beginning are not enjoying this play. About 15 minutes in, the old guy has had enough. He grabs his wife's arm and leads her to the exit along the shortest route possible -- right across the set in the middle of the action! The actors, bless them, never missed a beat -- and had a great bar story forever.
  • In my own hyperdrama Chateau de Mort at the Pittock Mansion. Near the end of the play, drug dealers dash across the lawn into the woods, fired upon by narc agents from the mansion balcony. On this evening, a family was picnicking on the lawn. They saw this -- and called the cops! As part of the play, an ambulance rushes up the hill, siren on. On this night, three police cars followed it! Real policemen got out and rushed into the mansion, wondering what was going on. Everyone thought it was part of the script.
  • In another of my hyperdramas, Cocktail Suite, set in a bar, just before we started a non-actor real live drunk stumbled in, sat at the bar and passed out. He stayed there most of the play. When he budged, he was slipped a beer (on my instructions -- I also directed). Here, too, the audience thought this was part of the script, and I got great compliments, and the "actor" as well, for the added "realism."
  • I could go on and on. But I won't.

No comments: