Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Democrats

I believe it was Will Rogers who said he belonged to no organized political party; he was a Democrat.

Will be interesting indeed to see how this primary horse race shakes down. The worst scenario for the Democrats, perhaps, and one not at all unlikely, would be for neither candidate to secure the nomination by the convention, which Obama would enter with a lead both in pledged delegates and popular vote. But then the back room political machinery in which the Clintons excel would get into gear, deals and promises would be made, and Hillary would come out the nominee. This would infuriate the Obama folks, the old politics defeating their sense of a new politics, and many would bolt the party. Thus the Republicans would win.

Now maybe the Obama momentum will turn around some old guard superdelegates so this scenario doesn't happen. It's all going to be fascinating to watch, at any rate.

As for me, I believe in the secret ballot. Unlike H, I don't put up lawn signs or bumper stickers, ever. I never tell a pollster whom or what I'm voting for. I once was approached by someone doing an exit poll: I said, None of your damn business! I believe in the secret ballot and behaving as if, in fact, it matters that it's secret, which to me means keeping it secret.

No comments: