Thursday, February 21, 2008

Breaking the ice

This morning I had my first sale of the CD-ROM version of Screenwright, my electronic tutorial on screenwriting. This ten-year-old program, which has been a success over the years, originally was installed on a computer's hard drive. Now one can take it on the run and use it on any computer, a convenience. Only took me a decade to get around to offering the option -- well, actually, Lulu.com is what makes it possible because only then could I do this without an incredible expense, which I was reluctant to do. This generates a steady income but it's by no means making me rich, so I watch my expenses with it. But I did all the production work myself, so was able to get it up for no upfront expenses. I make a little less per unit than I make on the standard installation version but that's fine. I didn't want to make the CD-ROM price higher than the other. As it is, Wisconsin Screenwriters Forum, in a very positive review, mentioned its "amazingly low price," which is true compared to similar screenwriting products in the marketplace. I charge $25. When I started this, an "advisor" suggested I charge $199 and thereby undercut other screenwriting software products. But my motive wasn't to get rich but to spread the word, so to speak. The teacher in me more than the capitalist.

No comments: