Sunday, February 24, 2008

Structure of the hyperdrama

Click for larger image.

Using StorySpace (by far the best tool for doing this sort of thing), my first step was to get a handle on the structure of the hyperdrama within the locations I'll be using. This, of course, goes hand-in-hand with developing the story movement. This done, I then went to Sophocles, my screenplay software (if this were prose, I could write in StorySpace itself, but Sophocles is easier for formatting a screenplay), keeping the StorySpace structural image at hand to keep me grounded.

The first draft of the script came in at 22 pages, which means a single character path through the hypertext should run 5-7 minutes, somewhere in there. Which is about what I was shooting for.

Doing this on video actually is easier for actors than in live performance because now all the actor stress of going on, off, and back on book is entirely removed. I'll be shooting clips and all the assembly happens in editing (making my job harder, tit for tat). As it happens, some of the most magical moments in hyperdrama are improvised, which will be lost here. All the same, this still should be great fun to wander through. Each actor is still "the lead" (in hyperdrama, the major-minor character distinction makes no sense whatever: a democratic form!), so each will have lots of camera time.

No comments: