- an alma mater. UCLA (BA) or Oregon (MFA). When they play one another, it used to be a struggle but lately Oregon has lost the rivalry because of their stupid designer uniforms, their unfortunate connection to Nike (see below), and their greater likelihood to whine.
- Regional teams: Pac 10, northwest or west coast, in that order.
- The rare team without a Nike swoosh on its uniform. I have never worn a Nike product and never will.
- The team with the highest GPA. Go, scholars!
- Navy, especially in the Army-Navy game, a highlight of any football year. Childhood legacy.
- Underdogs and small colleges. I love Davids beating Goliath. Rutgers! Boise State!
- Special circumstances. Go, Virginia Tech!
I watch a lot of football with the sound off. Most sportscasters, especially those on ESPN, babble endlessly, mindlessly.