Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The darker side of Frost

He paid a price for self-promotion and ego.

I hear an old refrain: "He could live in his art but not in his life." No wonder the character in "My Dinner With Andre" who hears this is weeping. It's an artist's curse.

Robert Frost's "Road Not Taken"

    All this sickness and scatteration of the family is our fault and not our misfortune or I wouldn't admit it. It's a result and a judgement on us. We ought to have gone back farming years ago, or we ought to have stayed farming when we knew we were well off.

But as some point out, all this makes the closing "sigh" in one of the world's most familiar poems even more deeply ambiguous:

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
 blog it

No comments: