Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Nightmare in Technologyland

I don't even know where to begin. Step by step ...

1. The geek doesn't show to put in my memory card.

2. I decide to do it myself. I worry most about removing the damn cover -- but it was a snap, no screwdriver even needed! I added the memory card with no hassle. Except ...

3. Now my editing program wouldn't open. EVERY OTHER PROGRAM I HAVE WORKED but the one damn reason I added memory in the first place, I get this error that it can't read at 0x00000018, terminating thank you very much. This is an Adobe product but Photoshop worked fine. What the hell?

4. I uninstall and reinstall Premiere Elements, the video editing program. Same error.

5. I do more net research. "Fix 0x00000018 problems!" blah blah, like my error message is everywhere on the net, so I get some software to do this, find out my computer has 1378 errors, I fix them all ... and still no fix. Same error message.

6. Back to the innards. I take out the new card. Now the computer won't even start. What the hell? I take out the old card, put in the new card alone, yep, starts right up ... but same error with Premiere. Put the old card back in. Won't start. What's wrong with the old card suddenly?

7. So that's where I am. New card works but won't run Premiere, everything else is fine. I need to go to a computer shop tomorrow and talk to live geeks.

8. Meanwhile cancelled my interview today, cancelled my rehearsal tomorrow, and no movie tonight. I want to fix this before I leave town!

9. The good news, if there is good news, is that this computer is very easy to work on, I slip off the cover in a jiff with all cables still attached, can work on it without the care I did the first time, unplugging everything and taking it to an uncarpeted workplace etc etc.

I need my video editor! Why in heavens doesn't reinstalling work? What if I'd just bought the software new, to install in this computer with the new card, which works fine with everything else?

10. I also started a "case" at Adobe's online help, but I don't have much hope there. Their knowledge base has nothing.

*!##%@@!!!!XXXXXX

No comments: