Sunday, January 29, 2012

Smashwords v. Amazon

I actually prefer Smashwords to Amazon for distributing ebooks but use both. Smashwords, in my experience, does a better job at formatting a doc file to Kindle. Smashwords distributes to everyone. For example, my greatest sales to date have been not at Amazon but at Apple's istore, which has a deal with Smashwords. At the same time, Amazon is Amazon and you can't really ignore it -- and it appears to be getting more powerful in the ebook wars. So I try to cover all the bases with things that matter to me.

Smashwords seems to have higher standards regarding format. I have had to redo things for Smashwords, never for Amazon.

Might as well do both, is my advice to ebook authors (which means avoiding the exclusive deal option at Amazon).

1 comment:

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

I am experiencing a little glitch between Amazon and Smashwords. I want my little ebook to be free. Some of my potential readers tell me they want my ebook on Amazon as they were unwilling to go through the daunting-to-them directions for downloading the ebook to their Kindle from Smashwords. Amazon won't post free books as I understand it, nor allow posting of a book that is cheaper somewhere else! Feeling stuck.

Santa Barbara Fire Song https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/152393