Friday, July 08, 2011

True stories in works of fiction

I've been rereading my novel Kerouac's Scroll, which is something I do when my spirits need lifting. It's a deeply personal story and one to which its fans, few but energetic, are true believers. No work of mine has received more enthusiastic praise, even though by and large the book is ignored. But it works deeply for males of a certain age and background, it seems.

At any rate, in this work of fiction, based on my relationship with my  late soul brother, are a number of true stories, things that actually happened. My favorite is this one.


The story went this way. Helen and I were still
together, and I was going to UCLA. Hooker had just gotten
out of the Army and moved to Idaho with plans to return to
college. One Saturday night we came home from a party
after midnight to find the phone ringing. It was Hooker. He
was drunk and calling to tell me he was leaving Jennifer.
He’d had enough. When? I asked. Right now. No, I
insisted, don’t do this until you talk to me. Where can we
meet? We decided on Reno, which was halfway between
southern California and northern Idaho.
Helen, of course, couldn’t believe that I actually was
going to leave for Reno on the spot. I was half-drunk and
my body was ready to crash. To hell with it. My soul
brother was in distress, and I left with Helen yelling at me.
Soon enough I got a lucky break. I picked up a
hitchhiker, who drove while I caught a nap in the back seat.
It was late morning by the time I made Reno. We had
agreed to meet in the bar at the Reno Hotel. But Hooker
wasn’t there. Maybe I beat him. I called Helen to let her
know I was still alive.
Hooker had called, He’d had car trouble and was
stranded in Winnemucca. He’d meet me at the downtown
motel there.
I didn’t trust myself to drive for another hour without
more rest. I crawled into my car, and when I woke up, the
sun was going down. I hit the road.
It was a tortuous trip. I kept hallucinating that car
lights were heading my way. I was hungover and still a
little drunk, exhausted mentally and physically, in no
shape to be on the road. But there I was.
In Winnemucca the desk clerk gave me our room
number. Though it was early, Hooker already was snoring.
I took the other bed and in no time was asleep.
When I awoke, morning sunshine was streaming into
the room. Hooker’s bed was empty. I found him downstairs
in the restaurant, reading the paper. I slipped into the
booth across from him.
“Sports?” he asked.
“Sure.”
A waitress came and took our order. We read the
paper and ate. No one spoke. We didn’t speak a single word
to the other as we ate.
Hooker picked up the tab. Outside the restaurant, I
said, “Which way you heading?”
“North.”
“Back to Jenn?”
“Right.”
“Have a safe trip.”
“You, too.”
We embraced. We climbed into our separate cars. At
the highway, Hooker turned north, and I turned south,
each beeping a farewell.
A man always grinned after hearing this story. A
woman always shook her head.

Access free pdf

No comments: