Thursday, July 14, 2011

Public transportation adventure

Getting from L&C College to town via bus looks like an adventure since one bus runs every hour and my transfer every half hour, so I'll be sure to take Kindle to pass the time.

Speaking of which: I am mesmerized, struck in awe, full of admiration for the first novel in the Dos Passos trilogy U.S.A., the 42nd Parallel, reinforcing my long contention that this is the "great American novel" everyone has been looking for. It's been here since the 1930s. I'll have more to say after I finish all three books but returning after so long, man, it's just an extraordinary achievement and as complete an engaging, sweeping, insightful telling of the American story at the beginning of the 20th century, from which so much follows, as one could hope for. I'm overwhelmed. Pop lit looks so silly in comparison. Of course, escape lit has its uses. But if you want to read something that really matters, go to the USA Trilogy by John Dos Passos. Extraordinary work.

No comments: