Sunday, July 24, 2011

Long-range planning

The novella will engage me until the end of the year, possibly into 2012. When it is done, my next project should be my libretto Varmints, writing the vocal score, while I still have faculties to do it. It's be sitting unattended every since the deal fell through with the composer for whom I adapted my stage play of the same name. But I love this libretto! I must do something with it. I need to begin the opera and get it out there for some energetic young composer to find and finish.

The opening:


(MUSIC: tragic, epic. Darkness. Perhaps reddish lights, the aftermath of fire, a blaze. Into which the shadowy figures of the four ghosts appear.)
                  

QUARTET OF THE DEAD

We are the dead

Our rotting flesh
The buzzards’ treat
Killed because
We dug for gold
And found instead
Ancestral bones

Our souls wander
Restlessly
Because our stories
Are untold

Listen then
To our grave tale
And give our souls
Their weary rest

We begin
In Oregon
In a desert
Filled with gold
Into which
Comes other news
Of a crime
Daring and bold

We are the dead

This is our tale



No comments: