Friday, July 29, 2011

Strokes

"What happened to the bold, kicky promise of writing instruction in the 1960s? The current conservative trend in composition is analyzed allegorically by Geoffrey Sirc in this book-length homage to Charles Deemer's 1967 article..."
I don't get all that many strokes in my old age, so forgive me for harping on this. But the more I think about it, the more incredible it is: a paper I write for a grad seminar in 1966, which at the prof's urging gets published in 1967, becomes immediately controversial, then forgotten until "rediscovered" in 2002 in a book length "homage" to the piece and expansion of its ideas, and in 2010 is studied in a grad seminar on Writing Studies, 44 years after it was written, also for a writing studies seminar -- I mean, if this isn't a cool thing to happen to a writer, I don't know what is. The work remains alive! Yes, indeedy, I'll take it.

Sirc on Deemer ("Deemer gave up and went off to write plays." Love it!)

No comments: