Thursday, May 27, 2010

Media pollution

Imagine being a farmer in the Oregon Territory in the 19th century. One day a neighbor comes over and says, Did you hear what happened two months ago? The president got assassinated!

Today a president farts in public and you are bombarded with the news from every direction and every media, you can't escape it without considerable effort.

Even in my lifetime, media pollution has accelerated. It used to be, growing up, you didn't think about the news until six in the evening. The family sat down and watched the news. Now it's 24/7 and again takes effort to escape. And almost all of it is repetitive nonsense.

I thought of this while watching Obama's news conference this morning, getting depressed as I watched, finally switching to the jazz station on satellite radio and immediately catching Chris Connor, my very favorite vocalist, and my spirits were in overdrive immediately.

No comments: