Friday, May 28, 2010

Leaders lead

Obama's great failure, and the huge disappointment of his failing to realize expectations, is his lack of moral leadership. This is an image problem. This is a performance, an actor's performance, problem. Someone said that Bill Clinton, if president during an oil disaster like this, would have put on a wet suit and swam in the oil to see for himself. I don't know if that's true or not but, as contrived as the gesture might seem, this is exactly the kind of action that is needed. Politics is symbolic as well as practical.

FDR welcomed the hatred of bankers: "...we know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob. Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me, and I welcome their hatred." Obama kisses their asses.


The oil spill is Obama's Katrina in the sense that this event marks and clarifies his failure as a leader of moral authority. He visits the Gulf today but to reverse this impression will be a challenge indeed. I think it's too late unless he is very dramatic and not his normal cool self.


Obama cool has served him well in many scenarios. But it seems to be his downfall as well. We need some good old FDR rage out of him now. I doubt if we'll get it. (But I think we may have gotten it from Hillary Clinton, and so I am beginning to regret my vote.)

No comments: