Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny

Is there a better thing to do on a gray Portland afternoon than cuddle with the dog on the divan and watch the PBS telecast of my favorite opera, the very L.A. version  I flew down to see in 2007, seeing it for the first time and delighted to be able to do so before I pass, U.S. productions being rare? I think not. So that's how Sketch and I are spending the afternoon.

It's a capable but not great production -- but what a thrill to see it live at last! I'd love to see another before I go. I'd love for it to get done here (and, in fact, I know a woman in town who's been working on just this for years).

Why is this my favorite opera? The music, of course, its story and its unrelenting expression of truths that make sense to my own human experiences and observations. This opera is very dark but very wise.

Background info

PBS production of LA production

Blog from LA trip


And here is the most moving end of a dramatic work ever ...


Well, you know, it's a personal thing. This is from the LA production. However, I must point out that I thought this American flag business was an embarrassingly cheap shot. I hated it. So I close my eyes when I watch this ha ha.

No comments: