Sunday, April 18, 2010

Appalling misquotations

A 2005 screenwriting book, Scriptwriting and Structure by Anthony Herron, attributes quotations to me I never said (I've never used the word Procrustean in my life!) and don't believe. It's appalling. As any student of mine knows, I do not put down three-act structure and in fact use this terminology myself. I do say it is largely misunderstood and arguments about it are semantic, not arguments of substance. But all this false quotation stuff is more curious because I'm thanked profusely in the acknowledgements, as if from a former student (I don't recall the name) -- so apparently it's well meaning. The guy took terrible notes perhaps. Younger, I would have tracked the dude and publisher down and made a stink but I don't have that kind of ego-harnessed energy any more. Suffice it to say I am appalled by such intellectual carelessness or dishonesty, whichever it is. He could have quoted accurately from my own screenwriting books -- there are three of them -- to communicate my thoughts on three-act structure. Instead he apparently just made things up. Incredible. ("Procrustean bed" makes me want to puke.)

Here's the link to what I didn't say:

Misquotations

P.S. A friend says, "Deemer, you know you've made it when you're misquoted!"

2 comments:

Sergio said...

Charles,

These are Alex Epstein's words (Procrustean bed included):

http://www.craftyscreenwriting.com/myth.html

The author made an attribution mistake.

Sergio

Charles Deemer said...

What a relief ha ha.