Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It's all material, but this doesn't mean it gets used

An interesting moment in my long lunch yesterday with Gall when he said he never could write fiction. Here he has a wealth of experience -- a significant role in a Senate campaign, once worked with a former head of the CIA, three years in Russia writing for various publications, other travels, a period with the Wall Street Journal -- but said this about writing fiction: I spent so much time making sure the words I put in people's mouths were accurate, I found I just couldn't make up things for people to say. Interesting. Many of his colleagues, he said, have written novels based on their journalistic travels and experiences (I've done this myself), but he couldn't get over this obstacle. Different minds think in different ways.

Again what a delightful visit! I trust we'll do it again.

No comments: