Friday, December 29, 2006

Remembering Maxie's

Nurse Fusion posted this at her blog last night:

A British Study shows that English is the last non-vocational, traditional subject in the top 10 degrees secured by students these days. Link to the article at BBC News. Source indicates current students are only in it for the money.

Read full entry.



How different it was in the 60s when I was a grad student at the University of Oregon! Near campus was Maxie's Tavern (as everyone called it) where many grad students hung out. We argued, discussed, debated books and ideas till closing time. We lived on free peanuts, throwing the shells on the floor. In the long narrow room, we stood and sat elbow-to-elbow in an environment of intellectual intensity. I don't recall ever talking sports or jobs at Maxie's. We argued about authors and books.

Don't students do this any more?

My office mate (I had a teaching assistantship) was from Belfast, working on a PhD on Jack Kerouac. He had never had a checking account before, and I remember how he used to write SIXTY CENT CHECKS at Maxie's for a small pitcher of beer. The bartender could NOT get him to write a five-dollar check and get change for the life of him. So, during a night, Jack might write two or four or more sixty cent checks. Jack and I used to love to share a shrimp-anchovy pizza. I was best man at Jack's wedding in Manitoba one summer, and I recall lying on my back with his new father-in-law outside the Canadian Legion, marveling at the Northern Lights overhead.

At noon one day, Jack asked me if I'd drive him to a music store downtown. Sure. We fought noontime traffic, finally found a parking place, and went into the music store together. Jack went to the counter and asked if they had Dylan's new album (I believe it was Nashville Skyline). Not yet. Thanks. On the drive back to the university, I tried to explain to Jack that in America we USE THE TELEPHONE to find out information like this.

Jack did the best imitation of Bob Dylan I've ever heard. He had a thick Irish accent when speaking but when singing, he was Bob Dylan all the way. Jack hosted Son House when the old bluesman came through for a concert, and what an honor to meet the man and hear him in an intimate post-concert setting later. Jack and I did some folk duets from time to time.

I lost track of Jack Foster. I heard his dissertation on Kerouac got published. I may snoop around for it.

No comments: