Thursday, December 21, 2006

Community support of the arts

When I moved to Portland in the late 70s (for the 2nd time), I was astounded by the civic support of the arts. All summer long in Washington Park, there were nightly free events in the amphitheater: opera, the symphony, plays, big bands, dances, jazz, folk music, an astounding variety of art and entertainment playing to thousands for free. Under the Portland Parks and Recreation Division were two theater companies!, each with an artistic director on the city payroll. There was a composer on the city payroll! I mean, I'd never heard of anything like this.

All this ended in the late 80s with budget cuts and more budget cuts. Today Portland's support of the arts is only a fraction of what it was then. And old-timers used to tell me about the 50s and 60s when support was really good. For example, in the early days of TV, the city theater companies used to write, perform and produce original theater on television on a regular basis.


One of the good things left is the Community Music Center, which is where I take my piano lessons at the ridiculous tuition of $48 for 10 weeks. It's perfect for me.

No comments: