Monday, July 15, 2013

No regrets

Through my long career I did almost none of the "standard marketing strategies" I now do in my Overdrive experiment. The fact is, I came of age as a writer in a different literary culture, when respect was more important than popularity, where - to cite an example - the two pop writers (TV and sci fi) at a literary conference at the Univ of Colorado in the late 60s came off as embarrassing buffoons, as hacks, to most of us there. The most respected writer there had just published a literary novel that cracked 2000 in sales, a magic number at the time (that's right, TWO thousand!). The environment was elitist, yes, but also healthier for literature. The mantra came from Gertrude Stein: "remarks are not literature."

I feel blessed to have had such good timing. Starting today, I doubt if I would have become a writer because popularity, the driving force now, was never central in my needs. I was raised with the sensibilities and values of a mathematician, and I retain them.

No regrets. And probably much to say when this expetiment is over.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: