Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Bad press

Just read that the thinker who most influenced Ghandi was John Ruskin. Time to revisit. Victorian lit gets a bad press, throwing baby out with bath water of British political arrogance, the model for our own.

Strangest grad school final I ever took was Victorian Lit. I was nervous, didn't have an A going in, needed to ace it. The matronly prof gave me a test ... then said, Mr. Deemer, I had the strangest dream about you last night.

Holy shit! What do you do with that? Whatever, I aced the final and got my A. But very strange, never forgotten.

posted from Bloggeroid

1 comment:

Mike Gold said...

Strangest test I ever took was the Air Force Officer's Qualifying Exam at Edwards Air Force Base. According to my recruiting sergeant, a leggy brunette who looked like she stepped from the pages of a men's magazine, the defense department came up with the hardest test they could devise, and administered it to applicants at Edwards. I scored a hundred percent. My sergeant wanted to know where I went to school. I mentioned that I had graduated from a local art school. Score one for a liberal arts education.