Saturday, July 13, 2013

Jury duty

In 1967-8, a grad school dropout, in Portland to "become a writer," which at the time meant two things, selling freelance journalism and publishing short fiction in selected literary magazines, especially The Literary Review and Prism International, both goals accomplished by fall 1969 when I returned to grad school, now an MFA student, during this period of learning and transition, I got summoned to jury duty. This led to my first big break as a journalist.

I'd been trying hard but failing to sell to Northwest Magazine. I was struggling enough the jury duty pay looked good, especially since I'd be reading and writing all day. Who would put me on a jury, with my long shaggy beard and radical ideas? I didn't think much of American justice anyway.

To make a long story short, I got on several juries and was impressed with how seriously my fellow jurors took their task. I came out with a changed attitude and my personal essay about this became the first thing I sold to NW Mag. The editor asked for more and also started giving me assignments. I sent in something previously rejected and they bought it. I ended up selling them every piece they had rejected! Aha, so this is how it works. I was in the editor's inner circle now and I made sure I stayed there.

All this came to mind with so much focus now on the Zimmerman jury. My first break as a journalist.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: