Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Negative review

One reviewer disliked what I'm doing at Overdrive so much that instead of writing a highly negative review just emailed me with constructive criticism, which was to write a novelization rather than what I am up to.

This, of course, misses the entire point of the experiment. However, she was most kind not to post a negative  one or no star review, which would reduce the average, which matters ridiculously much in the Amazon marketplace, very absurd really but it's reality, and I expected responses like hers to be sure. I kindly wrote back and referred her to 5 reviewers now who disagree and who like the new form very much, but there will continue to be those who hate it. I hope they all have good manners like this one and write me privately rather than go on a tirade at Amazon. But I also expect this to happen.

I think in the end it will be word of mouth that makes this work. Reviewers are important to launch it, to gain visibility and validation, but in the long run, readers dig it and tell their friends or they don't.

I don't share the enthusiasm of one reader who thinks this will really catch on but I surely hope she is right!

It's a marathon, so we are not going to find out anything soon. But all early signs I find encouraging.

No comments: