Thursday, March 15, 2012

Very big day

March madness begins in earnest -- and it's the last day of class for the term. Watch student videos, see how they did. And come home to watch games.

Alas, the two games I really want to see happen during my class time, but maybe I can catch the end of them in my office afterwards (and I'm taping them to view later). Today and tomorrow are the best days of the tournament in terms of David-Goliath, which is where my main interest lies. If Harvard can stay within ten points, man, I dig it! The more the underdogs get eliminated, the less interest I have. I have no interest in jocks who use college as a minor league warm up for the pros. If you got rid of all athletic scholarships and got tough on academic requirements for jocks, college sports would be college sports again. Never happen. That's why the best sports left in college are those with no meaningful professional league, like track and field, swimming. Even college baseball because the pros have their own minor league, as football and basketball should.

So I want actual true student-athletes to hang in for as long as possible in the tourny, before the pros masquerading as students take over. Then I stop watching and get ready for the Triple Crown.

But who knows, maybe a small school will make the final four! Happens amazingly often. Reason to watch.

No comments: