Thursday, November 24, 2011

A quiet house

H still in bed ... Sketch had breakfast and went back to bed, at the end of the divan ... I read the LA Times, something to look forward to each morning, and am about to make a bowl of Grape Nuts, a light breakfast before our drive to McMinnville and a holiday buffet. It's overcast but dry outside so far.

Earlier this morning a lawn crew made major noise pollution while blowing leaves around on a 400 sq ft lawn belonging to a neighbor. Didn't last long because the lawn is so small!

Interesting article in LA Times about all the things more popular than Congress today: Nixon during Watergate, BP during oil spill, the U.S. becoming communist. Hilarious, in its way. And people still vote for the two parties, making it a self-perpetuating nightmare. Been one since 1968, the year the Democratic party died.

Half my scripts read, will do the rest tomorrow. Maybe tonight, depending on my energy.

From the early 60s to the early 70s, 10 of us, 5 couples, always got together at Thanksgiving. These were my most festive thanksgivings over the years. This started in LA but continued when I moved to Oregon and someone else moved to San Jose. I stopped going when I moved east after grad school.

2 of the couples still do it, with others added over the years. We could go any time if we flew down but that requires more energy than I have. I hate flying in my old age. I hate the hassle at the airport and the discomfort in the crowded small seats. I'd rather stay home and read or watch a game.

But today I will enjoy the drive to McMinnville and the Thanksgiving buffet at Hotel Oregon. I'm looking forward to it. I have very much to be thankful for, not the least of which is my very life.

No comments: