Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pentatonix scores 'The Sing-Off' title | NJ.com

Pentatonix scores 'The Sing-Off' title | NJ.com:

"The Texas-based a cappella quintet Pentatonix, known for its intricate arrangements and futuristic sound, took home the golden microphone on last night's finale of the extended third season of "The Sing-Off.""

"If I'm gonna sing," says the unemployed log truck driver Rex in my play Christmas at the Juniper Tavern, "I'll sing aker-peller." I've always like a capella music and so watched the recent Sing Off show. From the start, I liked two groups: an old men's doowop group and Pentatonix, 5 singers who made extraordinary arrangements.

Watching each week, I really only liked about 10% of the music, being no pop music fan, but always like Pentatonix's arrangements. I kept waiting for them to be eliminated since I have long proof that my tastes and the tastes of "America" are far apart.

Imagine my total shock, then, when Pentatonix won the national popular vote to become champions. I thought the rapapella group Urban Method would win, hands down. Shows you how little I know.

Many stories in LA Times this morning about the firing of UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel. Alas, the real problem may be the athletic director, who now has hired and fired 3 coaches in 10 years. Where's the evidence he'll ever get it right?

Mike Leach
He is wooing the Boise State coach. I hope he stays in Boise State. I hope UCLA comes around to remembering Mike Leach. Leach is a little crazy, LA is a little crazy, it would be a great fit. But some see Leach going to Kansas or Washington State. He is available, is the point. And he's going to win his lawsuit against Texas Tech and ESPN, too. He was screwed royally.

Last week of classes. Easy week, showing student and other videos, collecting projects. Real work starts on Friday, with projects to give a final grade.

I'm positioned well with the short novel to finish a draft over the break. I think I can do it.

In spring, I'm going to teach Brokeback Mountain because there's a book that includes both the screenplay and the short story it's based on. Also some essays by the creators about the adaptation process.

No comments: