Friday, November 25, 2011

Enron

I missed the documentary Enron: the smartest guys in the room when it first came out. Watching it now, I feel sad that I am not surprised or shocked by any of the greedy corporate managers depicted. Corporate culture makes such behavior inevitable in the long run. So does football culture, i.e. the recent troubles at Penn State. All these "good old boy" subcultures have set themselves up for defending the indefensible. These aren't easy attitudes to overturn, it seems to me.

Only one script left to go, one I keep shoving to the bottom because I don't look forward to reading it. This happens now and again. But I'll get it read today if for no other reason than to free up the weekend. I'm eager to get back to writing vignettes for my novella. Short novel. Whatever the hell it is.

I know its two major influences: Dos Passos for its layering strategy and Connell for its delivery by vignettes. Two of my favorite works, the USA trilogy and Mrs. Bridge, definitely shaped my approach.

I hope I can make the new work so close to how I conceive it that I have no reason to write anything else. I'm ready to retire and spend my time watching movies, reading, and listening to audio books. My archive is too goddamn large as it is ha ha. Scribble, scribble, scribble. Hopefully to some worthy end.

No comments: