Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Reading a novel v. listening to a novel

About a third of the way into the audiobook of Greene's The Human Factor, a favorite novel, and I may be enjoying it more than ever. Listening, rather than reading, develops the story at a much slower pace, allowing time for the mind to wrap itself around various nuances of the telling, including language, in a way that passes more quickly in a reading, or seems to, though of course in reading one can stop and think about what has been read. But with a superb reader, as here, the novel seems to be resonating with me in a different way. I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

Now all I have to decide is whether my next audiobook is Derek Jacobi reading The Iliad or a dramatic reading of The Canterbury Tales. I think the latter since I've been away from Chaucer for a very long time. Not true with Homer. I joined a "club" (despite Pound's warning) and have a long list of audiobooks already, all things I've read before thus far. Why read anything new? The trouble with this question is that it leads to, Why write anything new?, a dangerous question for a writer to ask himself.

No comments: