Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gielgud as Hamlet

Started a 1941 radio broadcast of Hamlet, unabridged, with John Gielgud in the lead role. Quite good -- act one is as far as I've gotten. Going to study Hamlet in some depth as part of a complex future project I may tackle. The study comes first, and we'll see what comes of it. Among other things, I am rereading one of the more influential books I've read, which was assigned in a graduate course, Morris Weitz's Hamlet and the Philosophy of Literary Criticism, which became a sort of bible in my thinking about such matters. I may pick up the Burton Hamlet on audio as well and watch some of the films over the years. My story is going to be set during rehearsals of a college production of the play.



The Greene novel is very intense now. It was hard to put down to come to the university.

No comments: