Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chaucer

Is Chaucer the most neglected writer in English literature? Aside from reading him in school, does anyone read him at all? I am returning to him with great expectation because I've always rated him very high -- but it's been a long time since I've turned to him, in this case with a well reviewed "performance" audio book (that is, multiple voices), and thus far it is first rate. Indeed, I'm impressed with all the audio books I've listened to on Kindle thus far. Still listening to Huck Finn and loving it. Hamlet, and loving it. Now the Canterbury Tales, a long 20 hr haul. I also recently listened to Candide, which I revisit often, and Voltaire's masterpiece remains my favorite satire.

I suspect I will finish the Chaucer audio book a greater fan than ever. We'll see in a month or two.

And next on the audio list, the Dos Passos trilogy U.S.A. Listening to old favorites, one after the other.

No comments: