Saturday, April 16, 2011

Parallel Universe (poem)

Parallel Universe

In a parallel universe I'm a
retired high school math teacher
with three ex-wives, five children
and three grand children.
I spend a lot of time playing chess
at the neighborhood senior center
and talking to my kids on Skype
and watching grand kids play soccer
and trying to convince a local
topless dancer to go to law school
like she dreams about. Now and
again I drink too much and go
home to feel sorry for myself,
imagining that in a parallel
universe I'm a writer who produced
a very large archive of work
that he's very proud of but
which for some reason doesn't
satisfy him so that he sometimes
imagines that in a parallel
universe he's a retired high school
math teacher with three ex-wives
and ...

--Charles Deemer

1 comment:

Steph said...

Great! I am teaching a writing class on parallel universe/parallel lives...what if you had made other choices and/or is your other life going on somewhere else? I have been collecting work to read in class. Thanks