Thursday, April 14, 2011

2 miniseries on JFK

1983
Since I enjoyed the recent miniseries The Kennedys, I decided to watch the 1983 miniseries Kennedy starring Martin Sheen. I missed it at the time. I didn't own a TV through most of the 80s.

I've now seen half of the 83 one, enough to make some comparisons.

2011

  • It quickly hit me how production realities influence storytelling. In the 80s, there were fewer commercials per hour, so scenes can be more sustained. The 2011 version is driven by vignettes; in 1983, more developed scenes.
  • Very different focus in each. The recent one focuses on the power of the father and the womanizing of JFK. While both are visible in 1983, the focus is on historical context and challenges and on the obsession of J. Edgar Hoover about JFK's "sinful" behavior.
  • Different portrayals of Bobby. He knows more about JFK's womanizing and comes off more powerful in the recent one.
  • Both Jackie's are strong but the 83 interpretation makes her look a bit more snotty in her wealth and tastes.
  • Much more is made of JFK's health in the recent one.
  • For those interested in history, 83 wins hands down. Overall 1983 offers a more contextual, historical story of JFK, less focus on scandal. But as a result, the recent one suggests more about the man himself, often negatively.
  • I recommend watching both. It's especially suggestive to watch them back to back as I am.

No comments: