Sunday, November 14, 2010

A former student does well

The headline reads Saudi trailblazer makes vision come true and what follows is an interview with Aysha AlKusayer, my former graduate student. In the interview is this generous remark:
Are there any additional comments you’d like to add?
I would like to thank my screenwriting teacher and thesis supervisor at Portland State University, Prof. Charles Deemer, a true old-school.  I came to his classes curious about screenwriting, and graduated as a committed screenwriter.  The day I graduated he helped me send out a bunch of scripts to studios in Hollywood which have responded to my query letters.  Up to this day, and despite his many commitments and projects, he takes the time to respond to my emails, and to answer my questions about screenwriting.  How could you thank dedicated teachers like that, except by trying your best?
One of the great joys of teaching is to see former students do well. (And the last thing I said to her was, "You may be in the right place at the right time" back home, which apparently is the case.)

No comments: