Thursday, November 25, 2010

An overwhelming, humbling literature

I spent some time browsing through the Gutenberg Project Library this morning. What a humbling experience! There are hundreds of writers, thousands of books, I've never heard of and many books I've never heard of that were written by authors I know, including famous ones. Damn, there a lot of books! And now the Gutenberg library has free Kindle editions. Yes, I am getting a Kindle, my Xmas present to myself, and my 2011 resolution is to read in the Gutenberg library, not contemporary books, but exploratory reading in this wonderful resource, revisiting the classics and reading some I never got around to, reading titles that sound intriguing and prolific authors I never heard of, this the focus of reading, not the library down the street, not contemporary books, but this old treasures ... and we'll see what treasures I can discover for myself. I find this a very exciting new focus on my reading.

And I'm excited about the challenge of the new video project. I am the sole actor in it. A challenge to create my character. The story deals with two fascinations I have from history: Roswell and the JFK assassination. But what interests me most is how little it seems to matter what the truth is. It's history. In fact, ancient history in the terms of our culture. Who cares what happened? Well, my protagonist does, and he wrestles with the meaning of this. And I have a premise that I think will make this work dramatically while raising the issue of the consequences of history.

It doesn't sound like I'm retired yet ha ha. Well, this is not the kind of ambitious project that the feature was. This is a little personal project to keep me busy. So in a way, yes, I am retired. Sort of.

No comments: