Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A lovely day

Back from my gesture of civic masturbation, if that's what it was, and am uploading video and sipping iced coffee at Starbucks and later will take the dog to frolic in the park. Yes, I gave my testimony to the city council today and the only good that comes from it, I suspect, is that I learned something. Several city employees surreptitiously let me know they were behind the recall movement. But it's going to be a tough, divisive contest. Too many liberals have misconstrued the issue. It is NOT about the mayor's homosexuallity or his sex life. It's that he lied to get elected -- and even admitted as much. Now in my book, if you lie to get elected, that means the election is a fraud. So let's do it again, do it right, with all the facts on the table. That's all. Why people want a mayor who lies to get elected is beyond me. Well, I know why, because they are ideologues. Later I'll post my spiel. The best part of it was when I embraced the joy that citizens of Portland are not citizens of Tehran and here we have orderly ways of dealing with a fraudulent election. And so we will. But I don't share the confidence of others that we'll succeed. I think this can get ugly and divisive and unfortunately all the right wing kooks and homophobes are on "our side." Strange, very strange, bedfellows.

It's such a nice day, I plan to spend more time with the dog than at editing, at least while the sun is up.

All for now.

No comments: