Friday, December 14, 2007

At last, a book in OLR

Ever since founding Oregon Literary Review, I've wanted to take advantage of our electronic environment by publishing book-length works. But none have come our way -- until now. Terry Simons, a radical writer, thinker, and playwright, who wrote a teleplay I acted in decades ago, sent me a collection of essays, and I've decided to publish the entire book in our new issue. I expect it might cause a stink. My note suggests why:

From time to time, a large body of writing drops into my lap that impresses me by its energy, iconoclasm and seriousness. Such is the case with the following book of essays by Terry Simons. These essays are radical, idiosyncratic, revisionist -- and I cannot think of an academic publisher who would look at them with favor. However, I think they deserve an audience and so am publishing them. This is a work in progress. CD

What else can be said with a book of essays with titles like "The Essential Spirituality of the Communist Manifesto"? and "Teachers As First Responders." I'm delighted to make this unusual and challenging book available. Its wonderful title is Alt-Everything: Notes on History, Cinema & Education.

No comments: