Monday, January 29, 2007

The Good German



Joseph Kanon is a retired publisher who began writing historical thrillers in retirement. His first, Los Alamos, is first rate and made me a fan, even though I read very little "pop lit" that I can stand. I only finish about one of ten "best sellers" I try, putting most down in the first chapter (and sometimes, as in the case of The Da Vinci Code, throwing them across the room in a fury of obscenities ha ha). Kanon's The Good German isn't as good as his first one but a good read nonetheless, and I came to the movie because I like the story.

Most critics disliked this film.
  • "...peculiar and unsatisfying..." (Chi Trib)
  • "...unintentionally goofy..." (E! online)
  • "...they don't make them like they used to even when they try." (NY Times)
  • "The story isn't gripping or even coherent. There is no real romance." (SF Chron)
    But a few liked it:
  • "...pure moviegoing bliss." (Rolling Stone)
  • "Noirs this good don't come along every day, or even every year." (filmcritic.com)
  • "...the movie is best appreciated as an exercise in vintage Hollywood style." (NY Post).

I give it thumbs up, too. Not a great movie but an engaging and suspenseful one that had me in its grip for the whole ride. That's what thrillers are supposed to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's your beef with Da Vinci Code?