Saturday, June 22, 2013

Now I'm back to self-publishing, I've regained control | The Passive Voice | Writers, Writing, Self-Publishing, Disruptive Innovation and the Universe

Now I'm back to self-publishing, I've regained control | The Passive Voice | Writers, Writing, Self-Publishing, Disruptive Innovation and the Universe:

"When I signed with HarperCollins, I thought “Great! This is the golden ticket I’ve been waiting for!” I thought it would be a great collaboration between me and the publisher, given my success self-publishing my first two novels. The reality was a big disappointment. The publisher seemed intent on pushing my books into pre-existing moulds (“misery lit”, “chick lit”) that didn’t reflect the contents.

“Brand Polly Courtney” was increasingly muddled, leading to confusion for readers. It turned out that my editor hadn’t actually read my first two books."

This phenomenon is great for professional writers. For amateurs and beginners, it lets them avoid putting craft to true tests, I fear. I don't recommend this to my students until they've gotten validation in the real cruel marketplace. For an old fart like me, who doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, man, it is a gift from the gods!

But the whole scene is still muddled by all the amateurs in it.

'via Blog this'

No comments: