Sunday, November 11, 2012

The joys of teaching

Two unexpected happy surprises this weekend.

I received pages from a student that blew me away, they were so close to professional screenwriting. Maybe it shouldn't surprise me. She's an "older" serious student, who asks good questions in class and has come to office hours with questions. She's a quick learner. What impressed me most, however, is nothing I could teach her, a writer's talent for creating full characters and designing a compelling narrative, the kind of instincts that go beyond the textbook principles. Very exciting.

And I heard from an advanced student, also very talented, who finished the draft of her first screenplay. Reason to celebrate! And lots of time now to polish it for the Nicholl contest.

Nice to get surprises like this.

No comments: